Monday, October 11, 2010

just one (slightly less spiritual) question... or two...

So. I've been a bit girly/nerdy the last few days... I've been following the progress of two male weaver birds making nests in a tree in the back garden of my mother-in-laws house. All I can say is; "Chics Bru!" because I was standing drinking coffee on the lawn the other day when I felt the sky fall on my head! well, no, it was actually the female weavers unceremoniously ripping the nests apart and throwing the contents onto my head - after the males have spent serious amounts of time and energy flying back-and-forth getting grass etc to make nests from.

So the question is: how often do we do that? someone takes a whole lot of time to do something/prepare something/puts a lot of thought into something and then we go and rip it to peaces? Or even the other way around? how often do we do something/prepare something/put a lot of thought into something and then someone else goes and poo-poos on it? how's that feel?

2 comments:

  1. Hahaha!! I guess you haven't found a job yet!? lol... Yes, I hate it when you put so much love into something and then someone poo-poos it... thats poopoo! kinda reminds me of the tap story... how much love did 'someone' put into defending that?

    ReplyDelete
  2. it's more than though isn't it, in a small way it's pulling apart your character. it's not just saying i don't like what you've done, but also who you are, because the kind of person who would do this thing, or do it like this, is a bit poo-poo. swak to say the least. i know it's not going to go away, people are always going to criticise (rip the nest apart), so this isn't a question about stopping that or changing that, but maybe i'm asking "how can we make criticism constructive and meaningful?" because lets face it, if i was given free reign and always told i'm great, i'd become unbearable, but the breaking-down often leads me to the point where i'd rather abandon the idea than get more hurt by further breaking-down. there must be a better way, but if there is, what is it?

    ReplyDelete